Sometimes you can work on a problem for ages and just not be able to see the solution.
And so it was with my pyjamas. I had bought a paper pattern, cut out all the pieces, completed the bottoms (except the elastic, which I didn’t happen to have any of) and them came to the top. Ah, the top, which was supposed to have a rather nice contrasting binding round the neck, cuffs and bottom. The pattern describes itself as ‘easy’… well, pah to that! There is nothing easy (for me) about creating a bound edge on a V-necked garment… with a seam at the V that means… as far as this pattern goes… that you end up with five layers of fabric in a tiny point. I tried several times to get it right before setting it aside and wondering if there was any way to make a crochet ending for it (I’m a much better hooker than seamstress*).
And then I went to visit my mum. She really is a great needlewoman and, as soon as I described my problem, she was able to offer a solution (and confirm that the binding was ridiculously fiddly). An easy solution… something that I could do without any trouble. ‘Forget binding,’ she said ‘and just make a facing, with no seam at the V’. And so I returned home and completed the neck without any further issues. It means that it doesn’t have a contrasting edging, but I really don’t care. In fact, I then bought some ready made binding for the sleeve and bottom edges and made the whole process even simpler.
Just goes to show that sometimes you need a fresh perspective to help you onto a different track. Thank you mum.
* Honestly, this is a really funny joke if you are a Terry Pratchett fan.