Fly, my pretty!

Sometimes, you write a comment on someone’s blog post and it leads you down a very interesting path… for example, I never expected that my comment on The Contented Crafter’s blog would result in me owning the picture that the post related to. I simply said, of her lovely creation,  that ‘I would have it on my wall in a heartbeat!’ In no time at all the picture was offered to me in exchange for a dragon. Inspired by the one that went to Narf in Tasmania to guard her plants:

A dragon for Tasmania

A dragon for Narf in Tasmania

this one, however, was to be a water dragon…

And so I started the hunt for appropriate wool… none to be had locally, but plenty of choice on the internet. I chose “aqua” as the main colour, with support from “oxygen”(lighter) and “peacock” (darker).

Colours for a water dragon

Colours for a water dragon

Originally, I had a vision of an undulating dragon, but somehow as I worked on it, I couldn’t create the shape I had envisaged and after some frogging I made a much straighter body. I then decided to make the spines down the back sinuous by creating two intertwined rows in different colours… like a meandering river. As a water dragon, he could not have feet like a terrestrial dragon, so I made him webs for improved swimming ability!

Adding the spines

Adding the spines

I made the wings in “oxygen” and edged them and then remembered that I had a few freshwater pearls that would provide some appropriate embellishment. In the same box as the pearls, however, I came across an old film canister containing pearlescent beads. As soon as I saw them, I knew that they, not the half-dozen pearls, were just the thing.

Working on the wings

Working on the wings

But what about the eyes…? I tried mother-of-pearl, but the poor creature looked dead. I tried black , like the Tasmanian dragon, but they were too stark, I went to every shop in the area that sells buttons and couldn’t find anything that spoke to me so I resorted to e-bay – the world’s biggest haberdashery shop. There I was tempted by all sorts of glass buttons and I ended up ordering a selection because I simply couldn’t decide which would look best. In the end, I used vintage Czechoslovakian turquoise glass buttons, but now I have quite a few other buttons that will make great eyes on dragons to come!

Blue glass eyes

Blue glass eyes

I decorated the wings and spines with the pearlescent beads, and added some darker beads to the edges of the wings. Had this dragon been going somewhere in the UK, I would have wired the wings to give them extra support to counter the weight of the beads and make them poseable, but I was concerned that an x-ray at customs revealing a network of fine wires might result in the untimely destruction of the dragon in a controlled explosion (and it is, after all, a water dragon not a fire dragon). The final touches involved some needle sculpting and silver tufts on ears and chin.

And then the dragon was flying off to New Zealand and a new life…

It turns out that bartering for art is very satisfying!

Details, details

Looking at recent posts, I realise that it’s a while since I wrote about anything yarn related. There are two reasons for this. First, I was making something that I didn’t want to reveal until it reached the recipient and since I only posted it on Saturday, it’s going to be a while before it gets to the other side of the world. However, it was a playful project and so I will just tease you with a sneak preview:

I've been using some beads

I’ve been using some beads

And, second, I didn’t want to bore you with more of the same, as I’ve been making more scrunchies and dishcloths to add to my stock for sale. However, I have also crocheted a jumper for Mr Snail’s friend Auguste (more on this in a future post… possibly from him not me) and I have finally come to terms with my button needs.

For some time now I have been waiting for some buttons to be made for me. I’ve waited and waited, but they have not been forthcoming. So, last week I bit the bullet and looked for an alternative source. I had a few requirements: they couldn’t be too heavy, and I didn’t want plastic, metal (Sam chews metal) or wood. So, finally, I settled for some beautiful shell ones. These have arrived and so I’m now completing my sofa cushions (the first phase of covering my sofa). I’m not ready for the grand reveal on this project either because there’s quite a bit of construction yet to do, but here are a few details:

Much of my time has been taken up recently preparing teaching materials, but I’m hoping that I will have a bit more opportunity for creativity in coming weeks.

%d bloggers like this: